As we get older our nutritional needs change, we should have a defined wellness plan.
Best Meal Delivery for Seniors in 2021
Senior Affairs wants to help you find delicious and healthy meal plans that can be delivered to your door, we’ve researched lots of delivery companies on the market including ready to heat meals and complete meal kits. We feature the most popular choices and our favorite options.
- Freshly – Freshly meticulously crafts healthy, whole ingredients into fresh, flavorful meals.
- Balance by BistroMD – Ready to heat meals, weight loss
- Magic Kitchen – Chef-prepared meals, low-fat a la carte senior meals priced starts at $10.00 per serving. A complete meal is (1 entrée and 1-2 sides) contains 300-500 calories and is specially formulated by dietitians.
- Diet-to-Go – Chef-prepared diet meals delivered weekly.
- Home Bistro – Freshly made, frozen meals shipped, restaurant gourmet quality meals.
- Fresh n’ Lean – The largest organic ready-to-eat meal delivery service.
- Mom’s Meals – Works with healthcare organizations and can help provide for Medicaid and Medicare recipients, they deliver easy-to-heat and eat meals and for adults who have trouble chewing, they offer pureed meals for $8.
As a senior, diet is most important, having access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and if possible – a cooked meal, however, caregivers may find themselves responsible for shopping and preparing their meals, this can be a struggle keeping on top of it all.
Nutrition and Cooking Isn’t Always Easy for Seniors
Eating a nutritious and balanced diet can be hard for seniors. There are many reasons older adults struggle to prepare food at home.
- Lack of mobility is the main factor, also having the balance to stand up and chop vegetables or meat, managing hot pans, and lifting things in and out of the oven.
- Memory loss can make it unsafe for seniors to cook, as they might forget that they turned the stove on, and start a fire.
- Depression, mood swings, fatigue, or other health problems may demotivate them to cook.
If there is no one available to prepare meals, seniors may skip meals or eat something processed because it’s quick and easy.
What Should Seniors Expect in a Meal Delivery Service?
Knowing what your needs are in advance will make it easier to choose a delivery service for you. Here are some things we recommend thinking about:
- Your budget. The prices for meal delivery are all over the board, with some priced under $10 a meal.
- Your diet. Do you have a special diet need? Are you vegetarian or diabetic? Be sure the service you choose fulfills your needs completely.
- How many meals do you need? Every senior may not need every meal covered, but it’s helpful to have this in mind.
- Daily schedules. Every meal delivery service has a schedule, make sure it goes fine with your personal timeline, and you pay attention to cut-off times.
- Delivery costs. Is the delivery cost fixed or variable? Can they offer free shipping if you order a certain amount?
- Reviews. Of course, the only way to truly know if you’ll like a meal delivery service is to try them, but short of that, you can read reviews of other customers online to help you make your decision.
Meal Delivery Service: Would it Work for Your Loved One?
Having the right meal delivery service could make life so much easier! Caregivers get assistance and peace of mind, and seniors get a nutritious meal delivered safely.
There are many senior meal delivery services, but most fall under these two categories: Ready to cook or ready to heat. Let’s compare them.
Ready to Cook: Meal Kits
- HelloFresh – Made to order meal kits, delivered.
- Omaha Steaks – Gourmet meals, seafood, pork, complete meals, desserts, side dishes, appetizers
- Purple Carrot – Mix and match meals to create a custom meal kit, breakfast lunch, and snacks
- Martha and Marley Spoon – Choose your meals with vegetarian options available.
- Dinnerly – Recipes and meal kits delivered for less.
Meal kits or “ready-to-cook” services will send out packages of fresh, tasty ingredients, with instructions on how to prepare them. A meal kit is a great alternative to a pre-cooked meal for a senior.
How it works: Once you open an account, these services send out the ingredients to make the meals, along with recipes to explain how to prepare.
Perfect for seniors who want to remain independent and active enough to enjoy cooking their meals or live with a partner who can cook for them. Meal kits are good if you have no problems cooking but find it challenging to go grocery shopping. They bring everything you need for your meal.
It may not be for you if you can’t cook or you don’t have someone available who can cook it for you.
Ready to Heat: Meal Delivery
Some meal delivery services provide meals that have been pre-made and are ready to go in the oven or microwave. These fresh meals eliminate the need to visit the grocery store as often, taking pressure off seniors and caregivers.
How it works – Once you’ve created an account, you determine how many meals per day you want to be shipped out, most services can provide 3 daily meals and snacks if needed. Some will need to be refrigerated, others need to stay frozen. Then it’s simply a matter of heat, serve and enjoy!
Perfect for seniors who can’t cook, or find it difficult to cook their own meals, and if you can’t source a nutritious meal where you live, depending on the meal delivery service, this can take the stress off of providing daily meals.
This may not be optimal if you like to cook or you enjoy shopping still. You may not need this. Or if you’re on a tight budget, these may not make financial sense to you.
Why Should Seniors Use A Meal Delivery Service?
Going to a grocery store and carrying groceries can be very challenging for some seniors with mobility issues and outright impossible for others. These complications make meal planning and preparation difficult.
Food prep can be hard for seniors that struggle with vision and balance issues and other problems like arthritic joints.
Because of this, it’s not always easy for seniors to eat healthy meals regularly. This can worry caregivers who want to make sure their senior is eating well, but don’t have the time to be present to present all the meals.
For many, a senior meal delivery service can be the answer to these problems.
Using a Senior Meal Delivery Service Can Reduce Stress
Using a meal delivery service removes the stress from mealtime. Older adults will know that they are going to get a healthy, delicious meal and the caregivers can rest assured that their loved one is taken care of.
Having support with meal prep could be a factor to determine if someone can stay in their homes or not.
Tips to Choose the Best Meal Delivery for Seniors
How would you go about choosing a meal delivery company? Here are some things to consider.
Can Seniors Get Meal Delivery For Free?
Mom’s Meals: provides free meals to seniors who qualify for government-funded nutrition programs or are covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
Should You Choose Ready to Heat or Ready to Cook?
Ready to heat and ready to cook are very different services.
Ready to heat means that all your delivered meals are ready-prepared, and you will just need to heat it up in the oven or microwave before you eat it. This is the preferred service for those who struggle with cooking.
Ready to cook, means that you receive all the ingredients needed for your meals and a receipt card with prep instructions. If you still enjoy cooking or you have someone who can prepare these meals for you., this may be an excellent option.
How Many Meals Will You Need Every Week?
If your loved one can make some meals or if you can prepare some meals, maybe you will not need every meal covered. However, if this isn’t possible, you’ll have to think about each meal and how they will be covered.
How Much Can You Budget For These Meals?
Having meals delivered varies in cost, but as a general rule, you should expect to pay around $30 per day and more depending on the service. These different companies provide 3 meals and snacks, we recommend comparing different t services to find out which service is the best value.
Ready to cook services start around $11/serving for a box(around $52/box including shipping) covering 3 main meals for 2 people. This option is cheaper but may not suit everyone.
What Services Deliver in Your Area?
Some services like Diet-to-Go, Silver Cuisine by Bistro MD, and Magic Kitchen deliver nationwide. Most local Meals on Wheels Programs also have meal delivery options to most urban and rural areas. Some accept SNAP or Medicaid benefits. The Meals on Wheels Program can also help you locate transportation to low-cost or free medical appointments.
There are several local delivery services available like Aunty Devi’s, they deliver throughout the west coast and especially California as they’re based in San Diego. Check the pricing for today.
Do You Have Specific Dietary Needs?
Now it’s easier than ever to have meals delivered to your home or senior center that will address your specific dietary requirements. For example, Diet-to-Go has Keto, vegetarian, heart-healthy, and diabetic options.
Silver Cuisine offers all kinds of different diet options like low-sodium, diabetic, heart-healthy, and low carb.
You will do yourself a favor by trying a couple of services to find the best meal service for your loved ones.
What if you have Special Diet Restrictions?
- Paleo Diet
- Keto Diet
- Diabetic Diet
- Mediterranean Diet
- Vegan Diet
- Vegetarian diet
- Gluten-free Diet
- Low Sodium Diet
- Low-Calorie Diet
Please Note: Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Senior Affairs does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Paleo is sometimes referred to as being the caveman diet. We all know, we should watch what we eat; for aging-adults eating a proper diet is a healthy part of living a long life. As your body composition changes, you’ll realize that you need to change your eating habits. One of those is watching…
What is the Weight Watchers Program? The Weight Watchers Program (now known as WW) is one of the most widely used healthy eating programs in the world. They have over one million subscribers globally. Do you follow a Weight Watchers points program? Over the past 15 years, Weight Watchers has had three…
Usually, when you think of a diet, this means changing something in your lifestyle, but it could also mean a pattern of eating. It could mean slightly changing your habits and including a healthy meal or two in your diet every week. U.S. News reported that it was the #1 diet in…
Since the pandemic has most mature adults sheltering of us have ordered something from Amazon before, the amazon’s meal kits they sell are like comparable well-known meal kit delivery services like Blue Apron, Home Chef, Sun Basket, HelloFresh which include nearly everything you’d need to make a meal, but they’re only available to Amazon Prime…
Can we all agree that 2021 will present its fair share of challenges for seniors, but it’s also coming with opportunities! Since older adults are spending more time indoors and social distancing, top companies like SunBasket and GreenChef have responded with amazing weekly meals of organic ingredients even though the food isn’t…